CAPE TOWN, April 22 (Xinhua) -- A total of 18 people were injured following violent pitch invasion by football bans at Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban, authorities confirmed on Sunday.
A match on Saturday night between Kaizer Chiefs and Free State Stars concluded with a serious pitch invasion resulting in injuries and damages, said Vusi Mazibuko, General Manager of Moses Mabhida Stadium.
Chaos erupted at the venue after angry fans invaded the pitch following Kaizer Chiefs' 2-0 loss to Free State Stars, dumping Chiefs out of the Nedbank Cup. The fans attacked security guards and burned properties at the stadium, prompting police to disperse the fans with teargas and stun grenades.
A total of 18 men suffered injuries during the pitch invasion, most of the men being treated by medics at the stadium and five men were taken to hospital where they were treated following the invasion, Mazibuko said in a statement.
A video footage showing the violent scenes went viral on social media.
"Costs are still being counted but we confirm there is extensive damage to the stadium including seating, crowd barriers and access gates as well as general vandalism," Mazibuko said.
Five vehicles were also damaged in the media compound parking area, he said.
"We will confirm within the next 48 hours the total sum of damages to the stadium and precinct," Mazibuko added.
Earlier reports said a female security guard was killed during the riot. But paramedics confirmed on Sunday that she was seriously injured and is now in stable condition.
Police have so far arrested two people for suspected acts of hooliganism. More arrest would follow, police said.
The incident has drawn condemnation from South African Minister of Sports and Recreation, Tokozile Xasa and political parties.